Rudrabhishekam is one of the most powerful and well-known Vedic Hindu Rituals. It started since the beginning of time and is still being followed especially in India. This ritual is dedicated to the God of Gods, Lord Shiva. He is worshipped in his Rudra form. This is believed to bring prosperity and positivity in life while removing all the bad and the evil. If you are in doubt whether Rudrabhishek Puja is what you need, then this article is definitely for you.
The History Of Rudrabhishekam
The story behind pooja is that Lord Rama was performing the pooja at the Rameshwaram before he crossed the sea to reach Lanka in order to relieve Sita from Ravana. He performed Abhishekam in order to wash his sins away and also to bring prosperity and happiness to his family. Our ancestors heard of this which is why it was passed on to the next generations. Even up to now, this ancient ritual is still followed. The best time to perform pooja is during the pro-dosham day of the month. That is because this is the most favorite days of Lord Shiva. Other than that, Mondays are also good for puja.
Precautions During Rudrabhishekam Puja
During rudrabhishekam Puja, there are a couple of things that you have to remember. This is a holy ritual so it is important that you take all of these into consideration:
- Fasting. A day before and during Rudrabhishekam, you have to fast all throughout the day. That is a total of two days of compulsory fasting. While you fast, you should never consume any solid foods. You can have a glass of milk with some ghee in it would be fine. But aside from that, you should not eat anything else.
- Avoid Water. On the day of Rudrabhishekam Puja, avoid drinking too much water. If you can, go through the entire day without water because it will be better. If you do not have that capability, drinking a glass in the morning will do. During the ceremony, you cannot just excuse yourself to take a break and have water or go to the restroom.
- It is important that you consult an educated Brahmin for you to find out the most effective Muhurat and Tithi to perform in the ceremony.
- Put Your Life In Pause. During the Rudrabhishekam, you should put everything in your life in standby mode. That is until you finish the ceremony. You should focus on the ritual and out your mind, body, and soul to rest.
- Control Your Anger. It is also important that you control your anger until the ritual is finished. You want to bring about peace, prosperity, and happiness into your life so you should set aside all of your emotions at the moment.
- Environment Is Important. If you do not perform Rudrabhishekam Puji in a temple, it is important that you choose a peaceful environment.
Always remember that with Rudrabhishekam, every detail matters no matter how tiny or minor they are. They can greatly contribute to the efficacy of the ritual. You have to impress and please Lord Shiva, so you should be at your best behavior too.